A core goal of Arreya’s development team is to stay informed and constantly test the newest hardware and software that manufacturers have to offer. Through our extensive testing, we have found that Chrome OS devices provide the best experience for device setup, deployment and content delivery with Arreya.
Another benefit of Chrome OS devices with Chrome Enterprise Management is the ability to remotely manage the devices through the Google Admin console. Chrome Enterprise Management allows users to remotely configure networks, reboot the device, fetch logs, take a screenshot, and many more features that help with troubleshooting and deployment.
Arreya tries to remain platform agnostic while taking advantage of new browser features, and retaining backwards compatibility where possible. From user reports and previous testing, we have identified requirements and known issues for other common hardware choices. This information is subject to change and cannot be guaranteed to work for every situation.
- Minimum version requirement: Android 7.1 (Nougat)
- Android is an open source operating system and can be compiled with core features missing. Low-end Android media players frequently are shipped with Android builds missing required video decoders and codecs.
Samsung Smart TV (TIZEN OS)
- Minimum Samsung OS version: Tizen 3.0. Came in 2017 models, older models may be able to be updated
- Older versions of Tizen are missing core browser features
General Smart TV/Mobile browser limitations (LG WebOS, etc.)
- Limited memory and storage space could cause content failure and crashes
- Concurrent video playback may be limited on any smart TV due to decoding hardware and software
- Only fonts embedded in the TV will be used, other fonts may fail to display
Linux (RaspberryPi, Ubuntu, etc.)
- Linux/Unix is a family of open source operating systems. Each version and build can be compiled with core features missing and frequently are missing required video decoders and codecs.
- Additional package installation, configuration and testing will be required in every scenario
Typical browser compatibility issues
Below is a list of browser features commonly missing from older, incompatible browsers. Arreya uses these features and requires them in order to properly run.
- Service Workers https://www.w3.org/TR/service-workers/
- Promises https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-promise-objects
- Fetch https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/
- IndexedDB https://w3c.github.io/IndexedDB/